I suppose I should introduce myself. I’m Nikki.
1) Nikki was born on June 10th, 1986. That makes her a Tiger in the Chinese zodiac, a Gemini in Western astrology, and it made her mother very glad that she didn’t have to be pregnant through the ENTIRE miserably hot, steamy Carolina summer.
2) Nikki was born and raised in North Carolina, but her shiny new biology degree is from Northern Michigan University, which is located in Marquette, Michigan, just shy of 1000 miles from her sleepy little hometown in North Carolina. Nikki has a case of wanderlust. Nikki also has student loans.
3) Nikki has lived and worked in 5 different states since she was 21. These states are: North Carolina, Maine, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Michigan. Nikki taught art to small, medium and large children, in the woods, for multiple years in a row. Nikki can and will teach any kind of art–even if she’s bad at it, like macrame–but her specialty is painting.
4) Nikki wants to go into public health. Why public health? Well, it started in 2012, in Nikki’s first semester at NMU. There was a course offered called Disease in Society, and in it, Nikki got to learn about not just the microbiological impacts of different pathogens, but how those diseases impacted humans at the population level, as well as how they impacted society. The entire course was fascinating, but the tail end of the course focused on the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Seeing how badly even modern governments flubbed a serious health crisis made Nikki want to work to do BETTER, somehow.
5) Nikki kind of has a thing about birds. Any birds, really, but especially geese. You have to understand, the goose thing started at camp. There were two nesting pairs of nonmigratory Canada geese that lived on the lake at her first camp, and as the art building was down on the lake, Nikki saw these geese all the time. Nikki enjoyed watching the geese and watching their babies turn into fledglings and then into adults themselves. Nobody else save for the directors and the camp ranger seemed to really appreciate these geese, and Nikki just kinda felt a solidarity with them. Don’t hate on the geese.
6) Nikki is a musician. She sings soprano, took voice lessons all through middle and high school, and has spent an ungodly amount of time in choirs over the last 16+ years. “Carmina Burana” remains the best concert she’s ever gotten to participate in.
7) This is the list about things for which Nikki is not sorry:
- Nikki is very liberal and a strong believer in social justice and in not being a fucking asshole to other people. She’s going into public health, disparities of any sort are of great concern to her. She is especially not sorry about this.
- Nikki is a feminist and an ally. She is sorry she’s not sorry.
- Nikki’s Twitter followers say that she missed a prime opportunity to have a career in professional swearing. She remains unrepentant about this as well.
- Nikki’s Twitter followers say that she missed a prime opportunity to have a career in professional swearing. She does not like to knowingly use words that are hurtful to oppressed groups, but she is and will always be completely without remorse about calling someone a shitweasel if they are in fact behaving like a shitweasel.
- Nikki likes puns. She is STILL not sorry about that.
- Nikki loves glitter. Like really fucking loves glitter. #sorrynotsorry
- Nikki likes things that are brightly colored and pretty. Who’s sorry? Not Nikki.
- Nikki enjoys questionable humor like poop jokes and naughty innuendos. And she is and will always be NOT SORRY.
8) Nikki likes to write and read. Got a book recommendation? Nikki will take them. Need a book recommendation? Nikki has them.
9) Common nicknames for Nikki:
- Avian Brain
- Hobbit (Nikki is quite petite)
Thank you, welcome to my blog.